How to achieve commercial-grade recordings from Mike Senior
Recording Secrets for the Small Studio by Mike Senior is an intensive training course specifically designed for small-studio enthusiasts who want a fast track to release-quality results.
User-friendly explanations introduce technical concepts on a strictly need-to-know basis, while chapter summaries, assignments, and extensive online resources are perfect for school and college use.
In the video below Mike Senior explains the key features and provides a selection of recordings using the principles incorporated in his book. Judge the results for yourself!
• The ‘Recording Secrets’ Mic Position Library: A growing database of instrument recordings, extensively multimiked with identical microphones so as to provide an unrivalled insight into the art of microphone placement.
• Free Backing-track Downloads For Overdubbing Practice: More than a dozen of the most popular projects in the ‘Mixing Secrets’ Free Multitrack Download Library specifically formatted for overdubbing practice — so you don’t have to produce whole projects from scratch until you feel ready to!
• Bonus PDF Documents: Expanding on subjects mentioned in the book, these include a printable stereo protractor, instructions for folding mutual-angle templates from A4 paper, and suggested implementations of real-world small-studio communications systems and low-frequency shuffling for coincident stereo recordings.
• Information For Newbies: An Overview Of Music Studios & The Recording Process for those new to the subject, a couple of good Jargon-busting Glossaries, and some Suggestions For Entry-level Recording Systems.
• Further Reading: Additional on-line reading material relating to the subjects covered in the book — check out the ‘Further Reading’ section on each chapter page
About the Author
Mike Senior is a professional engineer who has worked with Wet Wet Wet, The Charlatans, Reef, Therapy, and Nigel Kennedy. He specialises in adapting the techniques of top producers for those working on a budget, writing regularly for Sound On Sound magazine’s ‘Mix Rescue’, ‘Session Notes’, and ‘Mix Review’ columns. He is also the author of the best-selling Focal Press book Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio.